The Old Motors Club of Malta (OMC) was formed in October 1989, an offshoot of the former Collectors' Vehicles Club (CVC), which also catered for vintage motorcycles and military vehicles. Today there are three clubs, the Old Motors Club, the Historic Motorcycle Club (HMC) and the Military Vehicles Collectors Club (MVCC), and together they form the FMVA (Federazzjoni Maltija Vetturi Antiki), but are autonomous from each other.
The OMC is today the largest vintage and classic car club in Malta, with some 300 members, a number of them from overseas, who between them have close to 1000 cars. The oldest car in the club is a 1904 Cadillac, reputably one of the first vehicles to come to Malta. The OMC has a policy of accepting cars on a 25-year rolling basis, such that today cars manufactured up to 1980 are eligible for membership.
The aims of the club are the restoration, preservation and enjoyment of vintage and classic vehicles. Various popular makes are represented, the majority of which are British. To a lesser extent Italian, French, German and other Continental makes are also keenly sought.
Obscure makes such as DKW, Marmon or Goggomobil may raise an eyebrow but are also present on the Island. American vehicles, known for their fins and petrol-guzzling qualities are also quite popular. Lately we are also experiencing an awakening of interest in Japanese cars which are relatively rare.
Read article in Maltese by cliking on the link below.